The law suit was filed last month by relatives of victims from 2008 Mumbai attack against ISI, its present and past directors general.
Reportedly New york court has asked ISI chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha and Lt Gen Hafiz Muhammad Saeed and head of Jammat e Dawa to appear before the court next month.
Allegations against ISI
- Provided critical planning.
- Provided material support.
- Provided control and coordination for attacks.
- John F Murphy, a professor at Villa nova University School of Law in suburban Philadelphia says"Lawsuits like this aren't highly successful,decisions that have been favorable to the plaintiffs have been largely symbolic."
- Lawyer Athar Minallah said "Why should they even bother to respond?", referring to Lt Gen Shuja Pasha and the ISI.
- Last week Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani said that ISI chief would not stand before US court to defend Mumbai attacks.
- “The government of Pakistan has taken a firm decision to strongly contest the suit filed ” the foreign ministry said.
- Pakistan embassy in Washington will fight the case properly in palce of ISI .